Sunday, March 3, 2013

...And A Child(ren's Medicine) Will Lead Them


I don’t drink much anymore but I used to throw down, y’all.  I once drank a little concoction called a Flaming Dr. Pepper.  There have been explosions at refineries caused by less combustible liquids.  For the uninitiated:  You drop a lit shot of 151 and Amaretto  into a mug of beer, and when it starts to foam, you gulp it down and it takes like Dr. Pepper.  After about the 3rd one.  Because after that 3rd one, you could drop a lit shot of Elmer’s glue and soy sauce into a mug of dirty bath water and it would taste like Dr. Pepper- that is how hammered those things get you.  I had 5 and forget blind drunk- I was Helen Kellered.  I couldn’t see, I couldn’t hear, my words made no sense, “Shhhh! Listen!  Did I just vomit on myself?”  “9-1-1?  What does that spell?!”  Evidently, that night, it spelled a trip to the Emergency Room.

Not surprisingly, because of that night and too many others like it, my liver has turned on me.  Not only has that bitch given me the finger, she enlisted the rest of my body to join the coup.  I remember when a hangover meant I’d need greasy ass McDonald’s for breakfast and 4 hours of sleep instead of 3.  Now if I even look at hard alcohol for too long I know that I am going to hurt so bad the next day that I will want to bring myself up on charges.

Because of my body's rebellion, I was actually prepared to give up booze.  No, seriously, I was.  But the universe, knowing I still had a little drinking to do, whispered "not yet" and led me to the holy grail of hangover cures:  Pedialyte.  Who knew that a children’s oral rehydration therapy would be the magic that allows me to continue being a goddess who bar hops?
Pedialyte comes in various flavors as well as a powder form.
                                                      
Why is it such a good hang over remedy?  According to Wikipedia, Pedialyte has less sugar but more sodium and potassium that Gatorade.  In fact, the same Wikipedia article states that some athletes are now using Pedialyte as a hydration alternative to sports drinks.  After a night of consuming no-no juice I drink two glasses of plain Pedialyte on the rocks (don’t think it would taste very good warm), pop a couple of Advil, and then I lay me down to sleep.  I not saying that this pediatric ambrosia is going to confer immortality upon those who imbibe, but it definitely helps my big ass get up the next day and function like normal human instead of lying there like a bump on a nauseous, head pounding, death-wishing log.

On a final note (because I know you’re so curious), even though I found this remedy, I am still keeping the drinking on the calm down.  Not only did the right to use the southern girl mating call (“I’m so drunk!”) expire a couple of years before my Saturn last returned, I have realized that it’s better to wake up with no hangover at all than even with a tiny one. Besides, researchers  are now saying there’s scientific proof that alcohol destroys brain cells, which is interesting, but do you really need a government grant and a lab to figure that out?  No, you don’t.  All it takes is getting to the point when you start forgetting what time you got home, how you got home, and that sex with a minor is a major crime.  You can hang up your lab coat and free the mice at that point because your research is finished (and so is your time of having a felony-free record).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers